Increasing Antioxidant Activity and Organoleptic Properties of Soursop Leaf Tea (Annona muricata Linn.) by Adding Cinnamon Powder (Cinnamomum burmanni)

https://doi.org/10.24042/biosfer.v11i2.7285

Indarto Indarto, Salima Duwi Astuti, Mahmud Rudini, Wisnu Pambudi

Abstract


Soursop leaf tea is a health drink that contains steroid compounds, terpenoids, flavonoids, kumari, tannins, and alkaloids. The flavonoids and tannins in soursop leaves act as antioxidants. Since it has an unpleasant aroma, cinnamon is added to add scent and flavor. This study aimed to determine the effect of cinnamon powder on the soursop leaf tea's antioxidant activity. This study employed the completely randomized design method (CRD) with two factors: the soursop leaves and cinnamon powder concentrations. This study consisted of four treatments, namely SP0 (100% soursop leaves), SP1 (90% soursop leaves and 10% cinnamon powder), SP2 (80% soursop leaves and 20% cinnamon powder), and SP3 (70% soursop leaves and 30% cinnamon powder) within three repetitions. The proximate test was focused on antioxidant activity analyzed by ANOVA at α = 5%. The organoleptic test covered the color, taste, aroma, and other overall preferences by qualitative descriptive tests. The results showed that the highest antioxidant (29.19%) could be found in the SP3 sample (70% soursop leaves and 30% cinnamon powder), while the preferred organoleptic test was the SP2 sample.

Keywords


Antioxidant; Soursop leaf tea; Cinnamon; Soursop.

Full Text:

PDF

References


Adri, D., & Hersoelistyorini, W. (2013). Aktivitas antioksidan dan sifat organoleptik teh daun sirsak (Annona muricata Linn.) berdasarkan variasi lama pengeringan. Jurnal Pangan Dan Gizi, 4(1).

Al Mahbub, A. S., & Swasono, M. A. H. (2017). Pengaruh Proporsi Kayu Secang (Caesalpinia Sappan L.) dan Kayu Manis (Cinnamomum Burmanii Bl) Terhadap Aktivitas Antioksidan “Wedang Semanis.” Teknologi Pangan: Media Informasi Dan Komunikasi Ilmiah Teknologi Pertanian, 8(2), 107–114.

Apriliani, R. (2020). Pengaruh Penambahan Kayu Manis (Cinnamomum Verum) Terhadap Karakteristik Organoleptik Dan Antioksidan Minuman Sari Buah Alpukat (Perseaamericana Mill). Jurnal Sains Dan Teknologi Pangan, 4(6).

Bikomo, E. O., Magbagbeola, O. A., & Ebuehi, O. A. (2017). Antidepressant activity of ethanol leaf extract of Annona muricata L., in Sprague-Dawley rats.

Brodowska, K. M., Brodowska, A. J., Śmigielski, K., & Lodyga-Chruścińska, E. (2016). Antioxidant profile of essential oils and extracts of cinnamon bark (Cinnamomum cassia). European Journal of Biological Research, 6(4), 310–316.

Dinanti, D. (2019). Pengaruh Pemberian Rebusan Teh Daun Sirsak Terhadap Penurunan Hipertensi Pada Ibu Menopause di Posyandu Lansia Tlekung Kecamatan Junrejo Kota Batu [PhD Thesis]. Poltekkes RS dr. Soepraoen.

Ervina, M., Nawu, Y. E., & Esar, S. Y. (2016). Comparison of in vitro antioxidant activity of infusion, extract and fractions of Indonesian Cinnamon (Cinnamomum burmannii) bark. International Food Research Journal, 23(3), 1346.

Hastuti, A. M., & Rustanti, N. (2014). Pengaruh penambahan kayu manis terhadap aktivitas antioksidan dan kadar gula total minuman fungsional secang dan daun stevia sebagai alternatif minuman bagi penderita diabetes melitus tipe 2 [PhD Thesis]. Diponegoro University.

Helal, A., & Tagliazucchi, D. (2018). Impact of in-vitro gastro-pancreatic digestion on polyphenols and cinnamaldehyde bioaccessibility and antioxidant activity in stirred cinnamon-fortified yogurt. LWT, 89, 164–170.

Irawan, R. J., & Mahmudiono, T. (2018). The antioxidant activity and organoleptic properties of soursoup leaf tea (Annona Muricata L.) and moringa leaf (Moringa Oliefera L.) in combination with guava leaf (Psidium guajava). Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, 9(11), 1703–1707.

Kondoy, S., Wullur, A., & Bodhi, W. (2013). Potensi ekstrak etanol daun kayu manis (Cinnamomum burmanii) terhadap penurunan kadar glukosa darah dari tikus putih jantan (rattus norvegicus) yang di induksi Sukrosa. Pharmacon, 2(3).

Lalami, A. E. O., Moukhafi, K., Bouslamti, R., & Lairini, S. (2019). Evaluation of antibacterial and antioxidant effects of cinnamon and clove essential oils from Madagascar. Materials Today: Proceedings, 13, 762–770.

Lubis, L. A. (2018). Aktivitas Antioksidan Pada Teh Daun Sirsak (Annona muricata L.) Berdasarkan Variasi Lama Pengeringan Dengan Metode DPPH (1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl).

Masitha, F. S., & Febriansah, R. (2019). Antioxidant Activity from the Combination of Ethanolic Extract of Tea Leaves (Camellia sinensis) and Soursop Leaves (Annona muricata l.) and Optimation of the Effervescent Granule Production. Mutiara Medika: Jurnal Kedokteran Dan Kesehatan, 19(2), 56–63.

Muhammad, D. R. A., Gonzalez, C. G., Doost, A. S., Van de Walle, D., Van der Meeren, P., & Dewettinck, K. (2019). Improvement of antioxidant activity and physical stability of chocolate beverage using colloidal cinnamon nanoparticles. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 12(6), 976–989.

Muhammad, D. R. A., Saputro, A. D., Rottiers, H., Van de Walle, D., & Dewettinck, K. (2018). Physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities of chocolates enriched with engineered cinnamon nanoparticles. European Food Research and Technology, 244(7), 1185–1202.

Muizuddin, M., & Zubaidah, E. (2015). Studi Aktivitas Antibakteri Kefir Teh Daun Sirsak (Annona muricata linn.) dari Berbagai Merk Teh Daun Sirsak Dipasaran [In Press September 2015]. Jurnal Pangan Dan Agroindustri, 3(4).

Mutiara, E. V., & Wildan, A. (2019). Uji Aktivitas Minuman Teh Daun Sirsak (Annona Muricata Linn.) Sebagai Penurun Asam Urat Dan Kolesterol Secara In Vitro. Media Farmasi Indonesia, 14(1), 1427–1434.

Nuryanti, S., Jura, M. R., & Nursucianti, N. (2015). Uji Aktivitas Anti Jamur Ekstrak Kayu Manis (Cinnamomum burmanii Blume) Terhadap Jamur Candida Albicans. Jurnal Akademika Kimia, 4(3), 123–128.

Oliveira, A. P., Sá, I., Pereira, D. M., Gonçalves, R. F., Andrade, P. B., & Valentão, P. (2017). Exploratory Studies on the in Vitro Anti-inflammatory Potential of Two Herbal Teas (Annona muricata L. and Jasminum grandiflorum L.), and Relation with Their Phenolic Composition. Chemistry & Biodiversity, 14(6), e1700002.

Perwiratami, C. (2019). Korelasi fenolat total dan flavonoid total dengan antioksidan dari beberapa sediaan ekstrak buah tanjung (Mimusops elengi). Chemistry Progress, 7(1).

putri puncak anjani, shelly andrianty, & tri dewanti widyaningsih. (2015). Pengaruh penambahan pandan wangi dan kayu manis pada teh herbal kulit salak bagi penderita diabetes. Jurnal Pangan Dan Agroindustri, 3(1), 7.

Qomar, M. S., Budiyanto, M. A. K., Sukarsono, S., Wahyuni, S., & Husamah, H. (2018). Efektivitas berbagai konsentrasi ekstrak daun kayu manis (Cinnamomum burmannii [Ness.] BI) terhadap diameter zona hambat pertumbuhan bakteri Staphylococcus epidermidis. Jurnal Biota, 4(1), 12–18.

Rahmiati, R. (2020). Pengaruh Penambahan Kayu Manis (Cinnamomum bermanni) Terhadap Antioksidan Minuman Serbuk Instan Kayu Secang (Caesalpiniasappan L.) [PhD Thesis]. Universitas Teknologi Sumbawa.

Reppi, N. B., Mambo, C., & Wuisan, J. (2016). Uji efek antibakteri ekstrak kulit kayu manis (Cinnamomum burmannii) terhadap Escherichia coli dan Streptococcus pyogenes. EBiomedik, 4(1).

Sadimantara, M. S., Asranudin, A., Sadimantara, F. N., Suwarjoyowirayatno, S., & Rhenyslawaty, R. (2019). Karakteristik Organoleptik, Sifat Kimia Dan Aktivitas Antioksidan Teh Formulasi Daun Kakao Dan Kayu Manis. Jurnal Sains Dan Teknologi Pangan, 3(5).

Sangging, P. R. A., & Sari, M. R. N. (2017). Efektivitas Teh Daun Sirsak (Annona muricata Linn) Terhadap Hipertensi. Jurnal Majority, 6(2), 50–55.

Sugeng, S., & Prayogi, A. S. (2014). Efektivitas Pemberian Terapi Teh Daun Sirsak Terhadap Kadar Asam Urat Pada Penderita Gout Arthritis Di Puskesmas Gamping Ii Sleman Yogyakarta. Jurnal Kesehatan Karya Husada, 2(1), 25–34.

Ulfah, M., Cahyani, V. S. N., & Kinasih, I. (2018). Pengaruh Pemberian Seduhan teh Daun Sirsak (Annona muricata L.) Terhadap Aktivitas Fagositosis sel Makrofag dan Proliferasi sel Limfosit Mencit Galur Balb/C Yang Diinduksi Vaksin Hepatitis B. Majalah Ilmiah Momentum, 13(2).

Untsa Uzlifah. (n.d.). Aktivitas antioksidan sirup kombinasi daun sirsak (annona muricata linn.) dan kulit buah naga (hylocereus costaricensis) dengan variasi lama perebusan [Skripsi]. Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta.

Vitri Sari Nur Cahyani, V. (2017). Pengaruh Pemberian Seduhan Teh Daun Sirsak (Annona Muricata L.) Terhadap Aktivitas Fagositosis Sel Makrofag Mencit Galur Balb/C Yang Diinduksi Vaksin Hepatitis B [PhD Thesis]. Universitas Wahid Hasyim Semarang.

Yanti, N. A., Ambardini, S., Ardiansyah, A., Marlina, W. O. L., & Cahyanti, K. D. (2020). Aktivitas Antibakteri Kombucha Daun Sirsak (Annona muricata L.) Dengan Konsentrasi Gula Berbeda. Berkala Sainstek, 8(2), 35–40.

Yulia, M., & Rosi, D. H. (2016). Uji Aktivitas Sitotoksik Ekstrak Etanol dari Variasi Teh Daun Sirsak (Annona muricata Linn) Terhadap Larva Udang (Artemia salina Leach). Scientia: Jurnal Farmasi Dan Kesehatan, 6(1), 13–17.

Yuliantari, N. W. A., Widarta, I. W. R., & Permana, I. (2017). Pengaruh suhu dan waktu ekstraksi terhadap kandungan flavonoid dan aktivitas antioksidan daun sirsak (Annona muricata L.) menggunakan ultrasonik. Media Ilmiah Teknologi Pangan, 4(1), 35–42.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.24042/biosfer.v11i2.7285

Article Metrics

Abstract views : 79 | PDF downloads : 48

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2020 Biosfer: Jurnal Tadris Biologi

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.